What to bring when applying for a driving licence
- Your previous driving licence. Also if it has expired.
- Has your previous driving licence expired or do you not yet have a driving licence? In that case, also bring your valid passport or identity card.
- A good-looking passport photo that meets the requirements of the National Government and is not older than 6 months. Note: you cannot have a passport photo taken at the municipality.
- Your debit card. Preferably pay by debit card. You can also pay in cash.
- If you are not a national of an EU country, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland: a valid residence permit.
What to bring when you collect your driving licence
- The collection receipt.
- Your driving licence (expired or valid).
- If you do not have a driving licence (missing or first application): valid identity document.
At least 5 months before your licence expires, check the website of the CBR if you need a health statement because of your medical situation, your age, or your profession.
If you are coming to the Municipal Counter, please bear in mind the Corona precautionary measures. For your and our health.
Due to the corona measures, there are certain regulations which make expired driving licences more valid. Check below to see if this applies to your situation:
- Your licence expired in the period from 1 June to 1 September 2020: your licence will be valid for 13 months after the expiry date.
- Your driving licence expired in the period from 1 September 2020 to 1 July 2021: your driving licence is still valid 10 months after the expiry date.
- You remain insured and will not receive a fine if you are stopped.
More information (only in Dutch) on the website of the National Government.
- € 41,- driving licence
- € 34,10 surcharge for urgent request
- € 27,10 extra if your licence is lost or stolen
- Statement of health: € 39,30
Do you need your driver's licence quickly? Make an urgent request: apply for your driving licence before 2 p.m. Your driving licence will then be ready the next working day after 11:00.
An urgent request is more expensive. In addition to the standard rate, you pay a surcharge for an urgent request.
Is your driving licence missing or stolen? Then an urgent procedure is unfortunately not always possible.
An urgent procedure is not possible if you want to exchange your foreign driving licence.
For each licence category there is a certain age at which you can apply for it. From the age of 17, you can apply for a beginner's licence. In that case, you may drive with a supervisor next to you. To do so, you must first apply for a driver's pass from the Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer (RDW). Only then can you apply for a driving licence. The accompanying person(s) do not have to come with you when you apply for or collect the driving licence. Would you like to know more? Go to www.2todrive.nl.
Sometimes you will need a statement of health when applying for your driving licence. For example, because of your medical situation, your age or your profession.
The CBR (Central Bureau for Driving Proficiency Certificates) assesses whether you are healthy enough for a driving licence.
Check the CBR's website in good time to see if you need a health certificate. Because the CBR is very busy, it can sometimes take 5 months to assess whether you are healthy enough.
Advice from the CBR
- Start early.
- Do you need to visit one or more medical specialists? Then start 5 months before your driving licence expires.
- Fill in the Health Declaration digitally via My CBR (with DigiD). Faster than by post and you can check the status of your request at any time.
- Don't have a DigiD? Then buy a paper health certificate from the CBR. The CBR will assess your health certificate and determine whether you are fit to drive or still need to see a doctor for further examination.
- Take all the forms you receive from the CBR (after submitting your health declaration) with you to appointments with doctor/specialist(s).
- Applicants for a large driving licence and people whose driving licence expires on or after their 75th birthday must always be examined by a doctor.
For a moped licence, you need to pass a theory and a practical exam at the CBR. This is possible from the age of 16. You do not have to take an exam if you already have another driving licence, with the exception of the tractor driving licence.
After you have passed the exam, you can apply for the moped driving licence the next day. First make an appointment at the GemeenteLoket.
You will have to pay for your moped driving licence with your application. You will need to bring it with you when you make your appointment:
- Your valid proof of identity
- 1 colour passport photo that meets the requirements of the authorities
With a moped licence you may ride on one:
- speed-pedelec: an electric bicycle faster than 25 km/h
A passport photo for a passport must meet the requirements of the central government. Preferably have the passport photo taken in the Netherlands by a recognized photographer.
The passport photo should always look good on the applicant's face and should not be older than 6 months.
- You apply for the document within 3 years of obtaining your driving licence.
- You lived in the Netherlands for at least 185 days during the past year.
- You are in possession of a valid declaration of suitability from the CBR.
You can pick up your new driving licence after 7 days.
Note: If you want to exchange your foreign driving licence, this will take more time. The RDW will send you a letter when you can collect your new Dutch driving licence. To do so, you will need to come to the municipal ticket office yourself.
Do you live in the Netherlands and have a foreign driving licence? If so, you may first drive in the Netherlands temporarily with a foreign driving licence. After that, you will have to:
- Exchange your foreign driving licence via your municipality
- or (if you do not meet the conditions for exchange) take an exam at the CBR
First check the conditions for exchanging a foreign driving licence on the RDW website. If you meet all the conditions, you can make an appointment and request the exchange of your foreign driving licence at the GemeenteLoket. The Dutch Driving Licence Application Manual (PDF) explains how this works and which documents you will need to bring with you.
A driving licence is valid for 10 years, except in the following situations:
- Driving licence for trucks or buses: 5 years valid
- You are between 65 and 70 years old, driving licence valid until your 75th birthday
- You are between 70 and 75 years old, valid for 5 years
- You are 75 years of age or older: maximum 5 years (depending on medical examination)
- In the event of an obligation to undergo a medical examination in connection with illness: dependent on examination
Has your driving licence gone missing or been stolen? Or do you suspect abuse? You do not need to report the loss or theft of your driving licence to the police. You can immediately apply for a new driving licence at the Municipality Counter. You will not be reimbursed for the costs if you later retrieve your driving licence.
There are licences for mopeds, motorbikes, cars, trucks, buses and tractors. Do you want to drive with a trailer? Then you may need an additional driving licence. Separate requirements apply for each driving licence.
For more information about driving licence categories (only in Dutch), go to the website of the Government.