In order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, our services have been adapted. If you visit the Municipal Counter, more precautions currently apply, for your and our health:
- Keep a distance of 1.5 meters
- Come, if possible, alone
- Follow the indicated walking routes and directions
- Be on time. If you're more than 10 minutes early, wait outside.
- Disinfect your hands on entry
- Stay at home if you have complaints or if a roommate has a fever. Desk staff are not allowed to help you.
Thank you very much for your cooperation and understanding. Only together will we get corona under control!
Covid-19 measures and driving licence applications
- Postpone applying for your driving licence as much as possible.
- Driving licences that have expired between 1 February 2020 and 31 August 2020 will remain valid for a longer period of time. This has been decided by the European Commission. People who meet the conditions for this regulation can continue to drive within Europe for 7 months with their expired driving licence. They will remain insured and will not be fined if they are stopped. You can read more information about these regulations on the website of the RDW (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer).
- Has your driving licence expired within 2 weeks and is it not possible to postpone it? Then check whether you can renew your driving licence online. In that case, you only need to come to the GemeenteLoket to pick up your driving licence. See the page 'renewing your driving licence' (RDW pilot 'digital application for a driving licence') for the conditions and procedure.
- Has your driving licence expired within 2 weeks and you cannot renew or extend your driving licence online? Then make an appointment online here.
Covid-19 measures and collecting driving licence
You can only pick up your new driving licence by appointment. This way we avoid queues at the GemeenteLoket. Make an appointment to pick up your driving licence.
- € 41,- driving licence
- € 34,10 surcharge for urgent request
- € 27,10 extra if your licence is lost or stolen
- Statement of health: € 39,30
Do you need your driver's licence quickly? Make an urgent request: apply for your driving licence before 2 p.m. Your driving licence will then be ready the next working day after 11:00.
An urgent request is more expensive. In addition to the standard rate, you pay a surcharge for an urgent request.
Is your driving licence missing or stolen? Then an urgent procedure is unfortunately not always possible.
An urgent procedure is not possible if you want to exchange your foreign driving licence.
For each licence category there is a certain age at which you can apply for it. From the age of 17, you can apply for a beginner's licence. In that case, you may drive with a supervisor next to you. To do so, you must first apply for a driver's pass from the Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer (RDW). Only then can you apply for a driving licence. The accompanying person(s) do not have to come with you when you apply for or collect the driving licence. Would you like to know more? Go to www.2todrive.nl.
Sometimes you will need a statement of health when applying for your driving licence. For example, because of your medical situation, your age or your profession.
The CBR (Central Bureau for Driving Proficiency Certificates) assesses whether you are healthy enough for a driving licence.
Check the CBR's website in good time to see if you need a health certificate. Because the CBR is very busy, it can sometimes take 5 months to assess whether you are healthy enough.
Advice from the CBR
- Start early.
- Do you need to visit one or more medical specialists? Then start 5 months before your driving licence expires.
- Fill in the Health Declaration digitally via My CBR (with DigiD). Faster than by post and you can check the status of your request at any time.
- Don't have a DigiD? Then buy a paper health certificate from the CBR. The CBR will assess your health certificate and determine whether you are fit to drive or still need to see a doctor for further examination.
- Take all the forms you receive from the CBR (after submitting your health declaration) with you to appointments with doctor/specialist(s).
- Applicants for a large driving licence and people whose driving licence expires on or after their 75th birthday must always be examined by a doctor.
For a moped licence, you need to pass a theory and a practical exam at the CBR. This is possible from the age of 16. You do not have to take an exam if you already have another driving licence, with the exception of the tractor driving licence.
After you have passed the exam, you can apply for the moped driving licence the next day. First make an appointment at the GemeenteLoket.
You will have to pay for your moped driving licence with your application. You will need to bring it with you when you make your appointment:
- Your valid proof of identity
- 1 colour passport photo that meets the requirements of the authorities
With a moped licence you may ride on one:
- speed-pedelec: an electric bicycle faster than 25 km/h
A passport photo for a passport must meet the requirements of the central government. Preferably have the passport photo taken in the Netherlands by a recognized photographer.
The passport photo should always look good on the applicant's face and should not be older than 6 months.
- You apply for the document within 3 years of obtaining your driving licence.
- You lived in the Netherlands for at least 185 days during the past year.
- You are in possession of a valid declaration of suitability from the CBR.
You can pick up your new driving licence after 5 working days.
Note: If you want to exchange your foreign driving licence, this will take more time. The RDW will send you a letter when you can collect your new Dutch driving licence. To do so, you will need to come to the municipal ticket office yourself.
Do you live in the Netherlands and have a foreign driving licence? If so, you may first drive in the Netherlands temporarily with a foreign driving licence. After that, you will have to:
- Exchange your foreign driving licence via your municipality
- or (if you do not meet the conditions for exchange) take an exam at the CBR
First check the conditions for exchanging a foreign driving licence on the RDW website. If you meet all the conditions, you can make an appointment and request the exchange of your foreign driving licence at the GemeenteLoket. The Dutch Driving Licence Application Manual (PDF) explains how this works and which documents you will need to bring with you.
A driving licence is valid for 10 years, except in the following situations:
- Driving licence for trucks or buses: 5 years valid
- You are between 65 and 70 years old, driving licence valid until your 75th birthday
- You are between 70 and 75 years old, valid for 5 years
- You are 75 years of age or older: maximum 5 years (depending on medical examination)
- In the event of an obligation to undergo a medical examination in connection with illness: dependent on examination
Has your licence been lost or stolen? Or do you suspect abuse? If your driving licence is lost or stolen, you do not have to report it to the police.
In connection with the coronavirus, our service has been adjusted. The following currently applies to reporting a missing driving licence:
- No rush, postpone the report of a missing licence
- If you are in a hurry, please fill in the contact form on our website and indicate the reason for the loss.
- Check this webpage for up-to-date information about our services