In order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, our services have been adapted. If you visit the Municipal Counter, more precautions currently apply, for your and our health:
- Keep a distance of 1.5 meters
- Come, if possible, alone
- Follow the indicated walking routes and directions
- Be on time. If you're more than 10 minutes early, wait outside.
- Disinfect your hands on entry
- Stay at home if you have complaints or if a roommate has a fever. Desk staff are not allowed to help you.
Thank you very much for your cooperation and understanding. Only together will we get corona under control!
Covid-19 measures and applying for a driver's license
- Postpone applying for your driving licence as much as possible.
- Driving licences that have expired between 1 February 2020 and 31 August 2020 will remain valid for a longer period of time. This has been decided by the European Commission. People who meet the conditions for this arrangement can continue to drive within Europe for 7 months with their expired driving licence. They will remain insured and will not be fined if they are stopped. You can read more information about these regulations on the website of the RDW (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer).
- Has your driving licence expired within 2 weeks and is it not possible to postpone it? If so, preferably renew your driving licence online. In that case, you only need to come to the GemeenteLoket to pick up your driving licence. Read under 'How does it work' what the conditions are for applying online.
- Has your driving licence expired within 2 weeks and you cannot renew or extend your driving licence online? Then call 14 043 to make an appointment. You can reach us from Monday to Friday from 08.30 to 17.00 hours. We plan your appointment in such a way that there are no queues at the GemeenteLoket.
- Has your driving licence expired later? Check this webpage regularly. As soon as the RIVM's advice allows it, we will adjust our service further.
How does it work?
- Have your passport photo taken at RDW-recognized photographer
First have a passport photo taken at an RDW-approved photographer and take your driving licence with you. At the photographer, put your signature that will later be used on your new driver's licence. The photographer will securely send your photo and signature to the RDW. Within a few minutes you will receive an e-mail from the RDW confirming that you can apply online.
- Your online application
You click on the link in the email and log in with the DigiD app. This way you can arrange your online renewal or extension within a few minutes. After that, you can deal with iDeal.
- Pick up your driver's licence (note: Covid-19 measures)
After 2 working days you can pick up your new driving licence at the GemeenteLoket. At the moment this is only possible by appointment. Call 14 043 to make an appointment. We can be reached from Monday to Friday from 08.30 to 17.00 hours. We plan your appointment in such a way that there are no queues at the GemeenteLoket.
Bring your current driver's licence with you. You must hand it in at the Municipal Counter. You will then receive your new driving licence.
- You have a valid Dutch driving licence
- You live in the municipality of Maastricht and are registered there in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP).
- Sometimes you will need a declaration of suitability (VvG). Depending on your situation, you may need to complete a Health Certificate first.
- You have a mobile phone with Android and NFC chip. You can also apply with an iPhone 7 or a newer model iPhone. These iPhone models are equipped with an NFC chip.
- You have a DigiD app on your smartphone and do / did a one-time check of your proof of identity.
- Have your photos taken by an RDW accredited photographer
Renewing your driving licence online via the RDW pilot costs € 39.78.