First registration in the Netherlands


This is how you register in the Netherlands for the first time:

  • Call the council to make an appointment.
  • Attend the appointment in person.
  • Bring the following:
    • your valid proof of identity (that proves your nationality)
    • proof that you have residence, such as a lease, proof of ownership or a declaration of the property's main occupant
    • a birth certificate, if you were born abroad
    • if you don’t have a European nationality: proof that the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) has approved your residence
    • if you come from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius and Saba: announcement of your change of address
    • possibly you may also need:
      • a marriage or divorce certificate
      • a death certificate (to prove that your marriage is dissolved by death)
      • birth certificates of your children
  • Do you have proof of deregistration from the country where you were registered previously? Take that along, too.

Each person who moves with you also comes to the appointment in person.


If you move to the Netherlands for the first time, you have to register with the council where you are going to live. This is called a ‘first registration’.

This ‘first registration’ also applies if you have lived in the Netherlands before, but moved abroad before October 1994.


The conditions for registration are:

  • you have the Dutch nationality, or
  • you have a temporary or permanent residence permit
  • you will be staying in the Netherlands for more than 4 months

You must have the correct documents at your disposal before you are permitted to come and live in the Netherlands. Your partner and children will also need to personally register if you are moving to the Netherlands with your entire family.


You need to personally register with the council.

Maastricht council (GemeenteLoket)

Bezoekers adres
Mosae Forum 10
6211 DW Maastricht
Post adres
6201 BZ Maastricht
Postbus 1992
Tel: 14 043 (+31 43 350 40 40 from abroad)
Fax: 043 350 41 41 (+31 43 350 41 4


You need to visit the council within 5 working days of your arrival in the Netherlands. 

We will process your registration within 4 weeks.


National laws

Rate this page