Extend online or add licence category?
Can you answer yes to all of the questions below? Then you can renew your licence online or add a licence category.
- Are you registered in the Maastricht Basic Registration of Persons (BRP)?
- Do you want to renew or extend your licence online with an extra category?
- Do you have a smartphone with an NFC reader (Android 4.4 or higher / iPhone 7 or higher with iOS13)?
- Do you have the DigiD app on your smartphone and do / did you use it to do a once-only ID check.
Do you not meet all the requirements? Or has your driving licence been lost or stolen? Then you can apply for your driving licence at the Municipality Counter (only by appointment).
How does it work?
If you meet the above conditions, you can renew or extend your driving licence with an extra category via the RDW website. Watch the video (only available in Dutch) to see how it works. Or follow the step-by-step plan below.
- Have your passport photo taken with a RDW-approved photographer
First have a digital passport photo taken at an RDW-recognised photographer and take your driving licence with you. You can place your signature at the photographer's. This will later be used on your new driving licence. The photographer sends your photo and signature securely to RDW. Within a few minutes, you receive an e-mail from RDW confirming that you can apply online.
- Your online application
You click on the link in the e-mail and log in with the DigiD app. This way you arrange your online extension or renewal within a few minutes. Then you pay with iDeal.
- Picking up your driving licence (note: corona measures)
After 2 working days you can pick up your new driving licence at the Municipality Counter. At the moment, this is only possible by appointment due to the corona measures. Call 14 043 to make an appointment. We are available from Monday to Friday from 08.30 to 17.00. We will plan your appointment so that there are no queues at the City Counter. Please bring your current driving licence with you. You must hand it in at the Municipal Office. You will then receive your new driving licence.
Due to the corona measures, it is not always possible to renew driving licences in time. The European Commission and the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure have decided to extend the validity of expired driving licences.
- Your driving licence expired in the period between 1 February and 1 June 2020: your driving licence is still valid until 1 July 2021.
- Your driving licence expired in the period from 1 June to 1 September 2020: your driving licence is still valid 13 months after the expiry date.
- Your licence expired or is due to expire between 1 September 2020 and 1 July 2021: your licence is still valid for 10 months after the expiry date.
- You remain insured and will not receive a fine if you are stopped.
- More information (only in Dutch) on the website of the National Government.
- You have a valid Dutch driving licence
- You live in the municipality of Maastricht and are registered there in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP).
- Sometimes you will need a declaration of suitability (VvG). Depending on your situation, you may need to complete a Health Certificate first.
- You have a mobile phone with Android and NFC chip. You can also apply with an iPhone 7 or a newer model iPhone. These iPhone models are equipped with an NFC chip.
- You have a DigiD app on your smartphone and do / did a one-time check of your proof of identity.
- Have your photos taken by an RDW accredited photographer
In 2022 renewing your driving licence online via the RDW pilot costs € 41.60.