Registering a divorce

You can apply for a divorce at the court. You’ll need a lawyer in order to apply for a divorce. The divorce is final once the divorce decree has been registered in the municipality’s civil registry. 

Registering a divorce yourself

Usually your lawyer reports the divorce to the municipality. You or your former partner may also do this yourself. If you choose to register the divorce yourself, please contact us by phone first. 

What you'll need

To register a divorce yourself, you’ll need:

  • Your and/or your husband's/wife’s written request for registration in the register of civil status
  • An original copy of the decision of the court that ruled on the divorce

The documents must show that you and/or your husband/wife can no longer appeal against the decision.