National living allowance scheme

Are you a refugee staying at a host address in the municipality of Maastricht? And are you struggling to make ends meet? You can apply for the national living allowance scheme, meaning you can get a sum of money for living expenses. You can sign up for the allowance at the municipality of Maastricht.

You will receive a debit card with a predetermined amount for living expenses. The card works as a prepaid debit card. It allows you to withdraw cash and pay at any payment terminal in the Netherlands using your PIN code.

Your living allowance

Your living allowance is meant for meals, clothing and other personal expenses. The amount is made up of 3 parts. The total amount you get depends on your age and living situation.

  • 1 part for meals: € 205 per person per month(the amount is the same for all ages)
  • 1 part for clothing and other personal expenses: € 55 per person per month (the amount is the same for all ages)
  • 1 extra part for refugees living with a host family:
    • 18 years old and over: € 215 per person per month
    • under 18 years old: € 55 per person per month.

You can use the extra amount for public transport, family visits or sports, for example. You can also use the money to cover some of your host family’s costs. This is not mandatory.

Who can apply for living allowance?

You can get living allowance if you are a refugee from Ukraine and if you are staying at an address in Maastricht. And if one of the following situations applies to you:

  • You are already registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP)
  • You have made an appointment for registration in the BRP

Are you not living at an address in Maastricht and are you not registered yet? Make an appointment for your BRP registration by calling 14 043.

Applying for living allowance

You can apply for living allowance by sending an email to post-socialezaken [at] (post-socialezaken[at]maastricht[dot]nl). Mention in your email that you are applying for living allowance for refugees from Ukraine. Do not forget to include your contact details. We will contact you as soon as possible to process your request.

How to use your living allowance

If you are entitled to living allowance, we will send you a personal card that works as a BNG prepaid debit card. It shows the amount of living money you can use that month. Starting from the second month, you will receive your pass on the 1st day of each month.

You will receive your PIN code in a separate letter. You can use the code to withdraw cash and pay at any payment terminal in the Netherlands. Do you have a Dutch bank account? We will also be able to transfer your living allowance to your Dutch bank account soon.

Start date living allowance scheme

The living allowance scheme applies from 1 April 2022. You will get living allowance from the date you are registered in the BRP.

Checking your balance

Would you like to check your balance or see your transactions? allows you to do so online:

  1. visit
  2. enter your customer number – your customer number is printed on your card (starting with 90)
  3. enter your security code: the last 4 digits of the long number that is printed on your card

This is currently the only way to view the data of your card. You cannot request bank statements or download data.

Change of circumstances

If you are getting living allowance and your circumstances change, please let us know by sending an email to post-socialezaken [at] (post-socialezaken[at]maastricht[dot]nl).
For example:

  • You (or another family or group member) move(s) to a different host address within the municipality. This may affect how much living allowance you get.
  • You (or another family or group member) move(s) to another host address outside the municipality. Your living allowance from the municipality of Maastricht will stop on the 1st day of the following month. You can apply for living allowance at your new municipality.
  • You (or another family or group member) leave(s) the address. For example, because you have found a place to stay elsewhere. This means that your living allowance will stop.
  • You (or another family or group member) are/is doing paid work. The living allowance of the person who is going to work will stop from the 1st day of the following month.

Different municipality

Are you staying at a host address in another municipality? Please contact the municipality where you are staying.

Emergency shelter

Have you not yet found a place to stay? Please go to Glanerbrook (sports hall), Kummenaedestraat 45, 6165 Geleen. Glanerbrook is used as an emergency shelter where you can go for information and further help.


  • Do you have any questions? Send an email to post-socialezaken [at] (post-socialezaken[at]maastricht[dot]nl)
  • Read more about work and income for refugees from Ukraine on the website of the Dutch government.