First registration in the Netherlands

Please note: students are kindly requested to submit their application here.   If you are going to live in the Netherlands for the first time, you must register in the new residential municipality. If you have lived in the Netherlands before, but moved abroad after October 1994? Then you have to do a 'first registration' again. You need to visit the council within 5 working days of your arrival in the Netherlands. Within 4 weeks, we will process you registration.


Are you a student at Maastricht University (UM) or Zuyd University of Applied Sciences and are you coming from abroad to live in Maastricht? Then register online with the municipality so that you will also receive a Burgerservicenummer (BSN).

Register personally

Please note: if you're already registered at a Dutch municipality, you only have to notify us your change of address

You need to personally register at our desk if you want to register in the Netherlands for the first time. Make an appointment by phone. When you come you need to bring with you:

  • valid proof of your identity (such as a passport)
  • a printed and signed rental contract proof of home ownership or a declaration by the property's registered occupant to prove you have residence
  • a birth certificate, if you were born abroad  
  • a proof that the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) has approved your residence if you don’t have European nationality (from an EU/EEA country)
  • an announcement of your change of address if you come from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius or Saba 
  • You may also need:
    • a marriage or divorce certificate
    • a death certificate (to prove that your marriage is dissolved by death)
    • birth certificates of your children

Bring also a proof of deregistration from the country where you were registered previously if this applies to you