Small chemical waste

Small chemical waste is a collective term for all kinds of hazardous waste, including empty batteries, car batteries, motor oil or paint tins. Some of these materials can be recycled, for example using the zinc in batteries to make new gutters. Hand in small chemical waste free of charge so that we can process the hazardous materials safely. Read on to find out what items to dispose of with chemical waste and how to dispose of them.

Recycling centre or shop

Take your small chemical waste to a recycling centre free of charge. You can also dispose of certain items by placing them in the designated bins at a shop or DIY shop.


You can dispose of small chemical waste free of charge.

Complaint or report

If you see small chemical waste in a public place or if you have another question or comment, report it via the  MijnGemeente app or contact us on 14 043. 

  • The table below shows what to dispose of with chemical waste (and how to dispose of other types of waste).

    Small chemical waste: yes please

    Household items: 

    • Batteries, energy-saving lamps, halogen lamps, LED lamps and fluorescent tubes (you can also dispose of these by placing them in the designated bins at a shop or DIY store)
    • Pesticides and insecticides
    • Fire extinguishers
    • Fire and smoke detectors
    • Kerosene
    • Petroleum
    • Liquid drain unblocker


    • Mercury thermometers
    • Drugs and syringes (you can also hand these in at the pharmacy)

    DIY / hobby:

    • Fixer for photographic film
    • Developer for photographic film
    • Etching agents such as nitric acid or sulphuric acid
    • Mercury switches
    • Paints, varnishes, stains and wood preservatives
    • Paint supplies, such as white spirit, paint stripper, paint thinner, brush cleaner, brush softener, benzene
    • Hydrochloric acid


    • Car batteries
    • Petrol
    • Motor oil, used oil, brake fluid
    • Oil filters
    Small chemical waste: no thanks
    Where to put it
    Light fittings Electrical appliances
    Cosmetics, such as nail polish and nail polish remover Residual waste
    Painted or preserved wood Wood waste (category B)
    Copper and silver polish Residual waste
    Empty bottles of ammonia, methylated spirits (if there is any residue left in the bottle, however, it is classified as small chemical waste) PMD
    Empty bottles of bleach, disinfectant (if there is any residue left in the bottle, however, it is classified as small chemical waste) Residual waste
    Empty aerosol containers (e.g. deodorant or hairspray) Residual waste
    Quick descaler

    Empty: PMD
    Residue left in  bottle: Residual waste

    Stain remover Residual waste

    In the Milieu App you will find a practical, comprehensive waste separation guide. A yes/no list shows what to do with each type of waste.

  • In the past, small chemical waste products bore the KCA logo (a crossed-out wheelie bin). This logo has been discontinued. You will still see it on some products, but even products without the logo may be considered small chemical waste. And to make things even more confusing, some products still bear the logo but are no longer considered small chemical waste. Check the table above to learn what items are considered small chemical waste. Still unsure? Download the Milieu App. It has a practical waste separation guide showing what to do with each type of waste.

  • Disposing of empty small chemical waste packaging

    Empty small chemical waste packaging should be disposed of with your small chemical waste. Examples include empty bottles of white spirit, benzene and paint brush cleaner. Even the smallest bit of residue can contaminate PMD waste. You can put empty paint tins (or tins with dried residue) in the metal container at the recycling centre.  

  • Never put small chemical waste out on the street. Not only can this be harmful to the environment, but it can also lead to hazardous situations, for example if children or pets should touch it (accidentally).