Moving abroad (emigration)

If you're moving from Maastricht to another country, it's important to notify us. You can do this from 1 month before your move. This also applies if you're moving abroad for at least 8 months, regardless of whether you sell your house in Maastricht or continue renting it. Reporting your move is free of charge.

Your details

The municipality will inform agencies connected to the Basisregistratie Personen (Personal Records Database, BRP), such as the Belastingdienst (Tax Administration), Sociale Verzekeringsbank (Social Insurance Bank) and Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (Education Executive Agency). For more information, visit (in Dutch).

What to prepare before moving abroad

You need to prepare several things before leaving the Netherlands if you're moving abroad. Many of these things are difficult to do from another country. The Moving Abroad Checklist tells you what you need to arrange with the Dutch authorities in advance, saving you time and effort.

Certificate of deregistration

Check with your new municipality whether you need a certificate of deregistration. You can request one after you have reported your emigration online and your moving date has passed. If you request it before your moving date, we can only issue it afterwards.

Requesting a certificate of deregistration

Currently, requests cannot be made through the online form but only via email.

  • Send an email to Post-gemeenteloketreizenendocumenten [at] with the subject: 'certificate of deregistration'.
  • Include your name, address and contact details.
  • Include your date of birth and Burgerservicenummer (Citizen Service Number, BSN). 
  • Include the case number of your emigration report. You'll receive this number when you report your emigration online. Without this number, your request won't be processed.

The municipality Maastricht cannot issue a certificate of deregistration afterwards; we'll have to direct you to the Registratie Niet-Ingezetenen (Non-residents Records Database, RNI).

You'll receive the certificate of deregistration by post or email, on or after the date of emigration.

  • Who can report:

    • anyone aged 16 or over
    • parents, guardians, and carers for minors under 16 
    • parents, guardians, and carers for cohabiting minors aged 16 or over, unless the minor reports the move themselves 
    • curators for those under curatorship
    • parents and their adult children can report for each other if they share the same address 
    • spouses or registered partners can report for each other if they share the same address


    Check with your new municipality whether you need a certificate of deregistration. This certificate can only be requested together with your emigration notice. Later requests for a certificate of deregistration cannot be processed by the municipality of Maastricht; you'll be directed to the Registratie Niet-Ingezetenen (Non-residents Records Database, RNI).

  • Please complete and sign the declaration form and include a copy of your valid ID. You can send the form and the copy by email to post [at], or by post to Gemeente Maastricht GemeenteLoket, Postbus 1992, 6201 BZ Maastricht.

  • If you have a parking permit, remember to cancel it in time, up to 7 days before your move.